Damn good dinner:
- Brown a bit over a pound of locally raised, humanely certified Italian sausage
. Once the links are cooked, slice them up.
- Drain off most of the fat, and add a smidgen of (local) butter. Roughly chop most of a head of garlic and grate an onion, and add into your pan. Brown.
- Add in 2 14 ounce cans (or 1 big can, which is what I would have done if that's what the store had had) of organic tomato sauce. Remember that you mean to deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar first. Cuss. Add it in. Salt and pepper to taste, add a couple of bay leaves, and simmer for awhile.
- Grate up a bunch of Parmesan.
- Add garlic powder and powdered "chicken" broth to some whole wheat couscous. Add boiling water to cover. Add a lid to the bowl, let sit until the water is absorbed.
- Combine everything. Eat.
Really, I'm craving shrimp and grits, and I would have done Italian sausage and grits but 1) we don't currently have any grits and 2) I have no idea what the household reception to grits is going to be, but this scratch the itch, a bit, and it's really good.