I love the internet. It's my brain. My memory is sometimes kind of crappy for important details (the lyrics to Mr. Big's "To Be With You"? Firmly lodged in my head. My schedule for this week? Not necessarily so much). But, when I put everything on the internets, I can go back to it and say "Oh, yea, that's what we had for Thanksgiving last year" and figure out what worked and what didn't.
It is nearly time for the best food holiday of the year. :)
This year, I'm thinking about:
- chex mix, sausage balls, and spinach balls for pre-dinner gaming munchies (we didn't get around to the spinach balls last year. There will be spinach balls this year.)
- Pioneer woman's no-knead rolls (will probably do some white, and some half white/half wheat. Maybe. I might just do them all halfwhitehalfwheat, they turned out well like that last night. Whole wheat pastry flour rules.)
- green beans
- green bean casserole (which we skipped last year, and I really missed)
- broccoli [steamed] and cheese sauce (one of Jeff's mom's favorites)
- fried squash (ditto. There will be more vegetables this year, since as far as I can tell, she lives on vegetables and Ritz crackers)
- stuffed mushrooms (one of Faith's favorites)
- cranberry sauce (cold, straight from the can, for my mother)
- mashed potatoes and gravy (one of Jeff's quintessential Thanksgiving foods)
- yams with brown sugar and marshmallows (one of Hope's favorites, and she made it last year, and we INHALED the pan, it was that good)
- sauerkraut (from a can, for my mother)
- pumpkin roll (and I'll get mom to make this this year, mine last year sucked)
- pecan pie? Mom is usually on dessert duty.
- eggnog (from Homeland Creamery. nomnomnom) and chocolate milk
My dad and my cousin Andrew don't really have specific favorites, and will eat darn near anything (except Andrew doesn't eat potatoes, the freak. ;) )
I wonder if anyone would be offended if we didn't do stuffing. It's a pain in the butt, and really, my stuffing kind of sucks.
I think this is enough for 8 people, and hits at least one thing that each person really really likes (except for my dad and cousin, see note above).
Now I just need to email folks and see what they think. :)