1. Behavorial Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth. - Silence of the Lambs, Thomas Harris.
2. All happy families are alike but an unhappy family is unhappy after its often fashion. - Anna Karenin, Leo Tolstoy
3. The next to the last time I saw Tush Bannon alive was the very same day I had that new little boat running the way I wanted it to run, after about six weeks of futzing around with it. Pale Gray for Guilt, John D. MacDonald.
4. In 1961, the first hopeful year of John F. Kennedy's presidency, Stanton College opened its doors to the forty-first freshman class. Tell Me if the Lovers Are Losers, Cynthia Voigt.
5. Billy Ray Coob was the younger and smaller of the two rednecks. A Time To Kill, John Grisham.
6. Once upon a time, not so long ago, a monster came to the small town of Castle Rock, Maine. Cujo, Stephen King.
7. In Fort Repose, a river town in Central Florida, it was said that sending a message by Western Union was the same as broasdcasting it over the combined networks. Alas, Babylon, Pat Frank
8. I decide to write a book about sex and its awesome effect on our lives for a number of reasons. Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You know them Taters got Eyes, Lewis Grizzard (not at all his finest work, but what i had handy.)
9. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee.
10. The blaze of sun wrung pops of sweat from the old man's brow, yet he cupped his hands around the glass of hot sweet tea as if to warm them. The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty
these are almost all fiction (there's one humor non-fiction) paperbacks by fairly well-known authors; i skipped the textbooks.